The proportion of textiles used for technical purposes in India currently amounts to max. 17% with a world-market share of only 3 %.
The main areas of demand are:
* Geo-textiles, especially for road and railway construction.
* Agricultural textiles, nets, shading, mulch.
* Textiles for the automobile and vehicle industry.
* Textiles for environmental protection, waste-water and dust.filtration.
* Textiles for medical purposes, operations and hospital. facilities.
* Textiles for personal and property protection, ballistics.
* Textiles for a variety of industrial applications.
The Indian government expects a growth of 3.5 % p.a. up to US $ 9.15 billion in 07 / 08.
Source: Ministry of Textiles GOI